Adjust text size:

VA Pays for Vets’ Disability Equipment in the Home

July 22 2009 | by

The New York Times reported that veterans who use Veterans Affairs’ health care system and have a disability that requires equipment being added to their homes — such as wheelchair ramps — can get their bills paid in full by the VA.

“Your V.A. doctor can refer you to a specialist who will come to your home and determine what changes need to be made. The V.A. will then find someone to make the modifications, at no charge to you. If your home requires permanent changes, like a ramp instead of front steps, you will have to apply for a Home Improvements and Structural Alterations grant, said Neal Eckrich, the National Prosthetic Program Manager for the V.A. The grants range from $1,200 to $4,100.

If your income in the past has been slightly too high to qualify for V.A. health benefits, you should check the new limits. The income thresholds were raised in June. Go to the V.A.’s online calculator or call 1-877-222- 8387 to find out if you now qualify.”

Related posts:

  1. Disability Group Reports on Veterans’ Brain Injuries
  2. Palin’s Disability Disappointment
  3. The Art of the Accessible Home
  4. Shinseki to Speed Up VA Claims
  5. Obama to Increase Disability Spending